To create an Aeon account and request materials, please review the information below. By clicking the "Accept Terms and Conditions" button, you confirm that you have read and understood these policies, and agree to abide by their terms and conditions. Please pay particular attention to the copyright statement and the Aeon FAQ.
Due to their value, condition, and uniqueness, Special Collection, Cuban Heritage Collection and University Archives materials do not circulate and must be used in the Reading Room. These collections require handling and security precautions to ensure their long-term preservation. Regulations include the following:
- • A valid photo I.D. and registration with the AEON circulation system are required.
- • All reading rooms are monitored by security cameras.
- • Bags and personal belongings must be stored in a locker (keys provided).
- • Pens and notebooks may not be used. Only loose paper, pencils, and laptop computers are allowed in the Reading Room.
- • Food and drink are not allowed. Water bottles may be stored in lockers.
- • Cell phones cannot be used while in the Reading Room in order to provide a quiet study area.
- • Notebooks, bags, and similar personal items may be inspected before visitors leave.
- • Gloves may be necessary when handling photographs.
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a person later uses a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that person may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
It is the patron’s obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when reproducing materials from the University of Miami Libraries’ special collections units. The patron expressly assumes all responsibility for observing applicable laws of copyright, literary property, and libel and covenants and agrees to exonerate, indemnify, and hold the University of Miami and its Trustees harmless for and on account of any and all loss, cost, damage or expense arising out of or in any way connected with the uses which the patron makes or suffers or permits to be made of the materials photocopied, digitized, or otherwise reproduced from Special Collections, the Cuban Heritage Collection and/or the University Archives.
In addition to copyright, some materials presented in these collections may be subject to the terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, publicity rights, privacy rights, licensing and trademarks. When photocopies or digital reproductions are requested, the size, condition, and donor restrictions of all materials are evaluated. Requests for reproductions may be denied if such work would damage the materials to be copied or infringe on other restrictions.
Digital photography is permitted only for research purposes, and the resulting images cannot be transferred to others, further reproduced, published, or displayed without the express written permission of the rights holder. Flash or external lights are not allowed.
- • Only a single photocopy of each page or part of the material described in the application will be made.
- • The Libraries reserve the right to limit the number of items to be reproduced or to decline to make a reproduction of any particular item with or without cause.
- • Photocopies of Libraries materials may not be placed in any other library, archives, or similar repository without prior permission of the University of Miami Libraries and of any other person or persons, institution or institutions whose consent the law requires.
- • The photocopies requested are for the sole and personal use of the applicant, who agrees not to transfer them to others, further reproduce them, publish any part of them or allow their use by other researchers or scholars without express written prior consent of the University of Miami Libraries and other person or persons, institution or institutions whose consent the law requires.
Licensing and Use of Materials
- • Permission to publish materials requires the requestor to complete the “Licensing Application” form and to receive signed approval from an authorized Libraries representative.
- • The Libraries do not grant exclusive publication rights. By giving permission to publish, the Libraries do not surrender their own rights. Applicants agree not to sell, donate, transfer, or otherwise use materials approved for publication for any other purpose.
- • The applicant expressly assumes all responsibility for observing applicable laws of copyright, literary property, and libel and covenants and agrees to exonerate, indemnify, and hold the University of Miami and its Trustees harmless for and on account of any and all loss, cost, damage or expense arising out of or in any way connected with the uses which the signer makes or suffers or permits to be made of the materials identified on the “Licensing Application” form.
- • Proper credit shall be assigned to all published materials. Citations should include full bibliographic information and read: [Collection Name – if applicable], Special Collections / or Cuban Heritage Collection/ or University Archives, University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida; OR Courtesy of the Special Collections [or see above], University of Miami Libraries, Coral Gables, Florida.
I have read and understood the above regulations and agree to abide by their terms and conditions. I also understand that if I do not adhere to these policies, my privileges as a reader may be revoked.